Welcome To Vermilion County Spotters Page
This page is to provide information to all Vermilion County EMA weather spotters, and other interested parties.
-NEW 4/7/16. Man Records Tornado That Destroys His Home/Kills Wife - 4/9/15-
Vermilion County Storm Damage Maps
Recent Tornado History
|59 TORNADOES(s) were reported in Vermilion County, Illinois between 01/01/1950 and 12/31/2016. Click on Location to display Details.||Mag:
|1 VERMILION||04/09/1953||05:45 PM||Tornado||F3||1||5||25.0M||0|
|2 Jamaica||11/15/1955||05:00 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||N/A||0|
|3 Sidell||12/18/1957||06:40 PM||Tornado||F1||0||0||25K||0|
|4 Oakwood||07/10/1958||05:00 PM||Tornado||F1||0||0||3K||0|
|5 Tilton||08/15/1958||05:00 AM||Tornado||F1||0||0||3K||0|
|6 Sidell||06/16/1960||01:00 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||3K||0|
|7 Sidell||03/06/1961||04:40 AM||Tornado||F2||0||0||N/A||0|
|8 Bismarck||07/21/1961||05:20 PM||Tornado||F2||0||0||25K||0|
|8 Danville||07/21/1961||06:25 PM||Tornado||F1||0||0||25K||0|
|10 Hume||07/02/1962||03:30 PM||Tornado||F2||0||0||25K||25K|
|11 Catlin||11/12/1965||05:00 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||3K||0|
|12 Catlin||05/10/1969||10:15 AM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0K||0|
|13 Danville||07/24/1969||10:55 AM||Tornado||F0||0||0||25K||0|
|14 Ridge Farm||08/12/1973||10:15 AM||Tornado||F2||0||0||0K||0|
|15 Hoopeston||08/14/1973||12:30 PM||Tornado||F2||0||0||25K||0|
|16 Oakwood||08/14/1973||12:45 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||25K||0|
|17 Fithian||04/03/1974||02:55 PM||Tornado||F3||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|18 Bismarck||04/03/1974||03:25 PM||Tornado||F2||0||12||2.5M||0|
|19 Potomac||11/10/1975||12:08 AM||Tornado||F2||0||0||250K||0|
|20 VERMILION||03/20/1976||02:25 PM||Tornado||F4||0||0||2.5M||0|
|21 Hoopeston||07/04/1981||03:07 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||3K||0|
|22 Ridge Farm||04/02/1982||11:18 PM||Tornado||F1||0||5||250K||0|
|23 Hoopeston||06/22/1984||06:55 PM||Tornado||F1||0||0||250K||0|
|24 Potomac||06/01/1987||12:50 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0K||0|
|25 Collison||06/01/1987||12:53 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0K||0|
|26 Allerton||06/13/1987||02:25 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0K||0|
|27 Fithian||05/08/1988||06:45 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||25K||0|
|28 Tilton||03/22/1991||11:13 PM||Tornado||F1||0||0||2.5M||0|
|29 Danville||06/08/1993||06:01 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||N/A||0|
|30 Danville||06/08/1993||06:16 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||N/A||N/A|
|31 Cheneyville||08/08/1994||03:35 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0||0|
|32 Rossville||08/08/1994||03:50 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0||0|
|33 Catlin||04/19/1996||08:08 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0||0|
|34 Sidell||04/07/1998||07:20 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0||0|
|35 Ridge Farm||05/19/1998||04:30 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||50K||0|
|36 Collison||12/06/1998||06:55 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||300K||0|
|37 Oakwood||05/14/2003||06:19 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0||0|
|38 Ridge Farm||05/14/2003||06:40 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0||0|
|39 Georgetown||05/28/2003||06:05 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0||0|
|40 Allerton||06/10/2004||01:57 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0||0|
|41 Rossville||07/26/2006||06:15 PM||Tornado||F1||0||0||40K||0|
|42 Hoopeston||07/26/2006||06:30 PM||Tornado||F0||0||0||0||0|
|43 Fairmount||05/13/2009||11:23 PM||Tornado||EF0||0||0||35K||0|
|44 Fairmount||06/19/2009||04:50 PM||Tornado||EF0||0||0||0||0|
|45 Westville||06/19/2009||05:09 PM||Tornado||EF0||0||0||0||0|
|46 Collison||08/19/2009||04:10 PM||Tornado||EF0||0||0||80K||15K|
|47 East Lynn||06/21/2010||05:22 PM||Tornado||EF0||0||0||0||0|
|48 Rossville||06/21/2010||06:02 PM||Tornado||EF0||0||0||0||0|
|49 Sidell||07/21/2010||12:24 PM||Tornado||EF0||0||0||0||0|
|50 Henning||04/19/2011||07:05 PM||Tornado||EF0||0||0||225K||0|
|51 Rossville||04/19/2011||07:14 PM||Tornado||EF1||0||0||360K||0|
|52 Allerton||05/07/2011||05:08 PM||Tornado||EF0||0||0||0||0|
|53 Tilton||05/01/2012||05:19 PM||Tornado||EF0||0||0||8K||0|
|54 Hoopeston||05/06/2012||05:19 PM||Tornado||EF0||0||0||65K||0|
|55 Westville||05/31/2013||10:24 PM||Tornado||EF1||0||0||50K||0|
|56 East Lynn||11/17/2013||01:00 PM||Tornado||EF2||0||0||2.5M||0|
|57 Westville||11/17/2013||01:03 PM||Tornado||EF2||0||1||9.5M||0|
|58 Bismarck||9/9/2016||06:34 PM||Tornado||EF1||0||0||100K||0|
|59 Catlin||9/9/2016||07:13 PM||Tornado||EF0||0||0||0||0|
- 4/9/1953: Initially listed as a single tornado with a 38 mile path, this may have been 3 separate tornadoes. Moving in from central Champaign County, the storm cut across the central portion of Vermilion County before moving to Warren County, IN. It passed 3 miles north of Hope before passing near Collison, Jamesburg and Bismarck.
- 11/15/1955: Brief touchdown on a farm 2 miles east of Jamaica.
- 12/18/1957: Touched down near Sidell, and was on the ground for 4 miles.
- 7/10/1958: This tornado struck 3 farms near Oakwood, and was on the ground for 2 miles.
- 8/15/1958: This tornado touched down near Tilton, and moved south-southwest along an intermittant 17 mile path.
- 6/16/1960: Touched down near Sidell, taking the roof off a barn.
- 3/6/1961: This was a continuation of a tornado that originally touched down near Tuscola in Douglas County, then moved across southeast Champaign County into southern Vermilion County. Farm buildings were damaged or destroyed near Sidell and Indiana.
- 7/21/1961: This tornado touched down near Bismarck, and traveled 15 miles to near Lebanon, IN.
- 7/21/1961: This tornado touched down near Danville, killing livestock and damaging farm buildings.
- 7/2/1962: Originally touched down south of Royal in Champaign County, then moved northeast into Hope in western Vermilion County. However, the tornado was not in continuous contact with the ground. Greatest damage occurred in Hope, where several houses, a church, a trailer, and farm buildings were damaged.
- 11/12/1965: Destroyed a school north of Catlin and overturned a trailer.
- 5/10/1969: This was mostly a funnel cloud aloft, but touched down briefly north of Catlin.
- 7/24/1969: Took a quarter mile path 2.5 miles south of Danville, damaging 20-25 homes.
- 8/12/1973: Destroyed a cement bus garage near Ridge Farm.
- 8/14/1973: Touched down near Hoopeston, causing crop damage.
- 8/14/1973: Touched down near Oakwood, damaging a lumber yard.
- 4/3/1974: This was part of the "Super Outbreak" of 148 tornadoes which affected the eastern half of the U.S. during a 24 hour period. This tornado originally touched down south of Sidney in Champaign Couty, then moved across the Homer Lake area into western Vermilion County east of Ogden.
- 4/3/1974: This was part of the "Super Outbreak" of 148 tornadoes which affected the eastern half of the U.S. during a 24 hour period. This particular tornado touched down 2 miles southwest of Bismarck and lifted 5 miles north of town. Homes on the west side of Bismarck, as well as the township high school, were significantly damaged.
- 11/10/1975: Touched down about 5 miles northwest of Potomac, destroying a garage, machine shed, frame house, and trailer.
- 3/20/1976: This violent tornado first touched down in eastern Macon County, and moved across Piatt and Champaign Counties before entering Vermilion County near I-74. The tornado lifted 5 miles northwest of Danville.
- 7/4/1981: Touched down in the northwest part of Hoopeston, damaging 3 mobile homes and a garage.
- 4/2/1982: This tornado affected the southeast part Ridge Farm, and was on the ground for 4 miles. Five homes and a trailer were destroyed, and 15 other homes damaged, resulting in 5 injuries.
- 6/22/1984: Touched down on the northeast side of Hoopeston, destroying a grain elevator and 4 trailers.
- 6/1/1987: Brief touchdown near Potomac, causing crop damage.
- 6/1/1987: Brief touchdown 2 miles northwest of Collison.
- 6/13/1987: Touched down 1 mile southeast of Allerton, before moving into northern Edgar County.
- 5/8/1988: Moved through Fithian, causing extensive damage to tree limbs and some roof damage.
- 3/22/1991: Initially touched down in Tilton and dissipated on the southwest side of Danville, but was aloft for a good portion of its existence. It extensively damaged the city hall, fire station, and 10 homes in Tilton.
- 6/8/1993: Brief touchdown in Danville, which tore off part of the roof of an office building.
- 6/8/1993: Brief touchdown east of Danville near I-74.
- 8/8/1994: Brief touchdown near Cheneyville.
- 8/8/1994: Brief touchdown near Rossville.
- 4/19/1996: Brief touchdown 1 mile northwest of Catlin.
- 4/7/1998: Brief touchdown 2 miles southeast of Sidell.
- 5/19/1998: Touched down 1 mile west of Ridge Farm, destroying a barn and machine shed.
- 12/6/1998: Touched down in Collison and moved 2 miles to the east-southeast. It damaged a dozen homes and destroyed the post office and 2 mobile homes.
- 5/14/2003: Brief touchdown near Oakwood, causing no damage.
- 5/14/2003: Brief touchdown 3 miles west of Ridge Farm.
- 5/28/2003: Brief touchdown 7 miles southwest of Georgetown.
- 6/10/2004: This tornado touched down 4 miles north of Allerton, and moved southeast for 4 miles across rural areas, causing no damage.
- 7/26/2006: Touched down 2 miles west of Rossville and moved northeast for 3 miles. Destroyed a shed and damaged several outbuildings.
- 7/26/2006: Brief touchdown 1 mile east of Hoopeston.
- 5/13/2009: Brief touchdown 2 miles east-southeast of Homer, destroying a large machinery shed and snapping several main transmission power poles.
- 6/19/2009: Brief touchdown 2 miles east-southeast of Fairmount.
- 6/19/2009: Brief touchdown just west of Westville.
- 8/19/2009: Touched down 3.5 miles northeast of Collison, and was on the ground for 5 miles before lifting near Henning. Two homes and numerous outbuildings were damaged.
- 6/21/2010: Brief touchdown in a field 2 miles west-northwest of East Lynn.
- 6/21/2010: Brief touchdown in a field 3 miles west-northwest of Rossville.
- 6/21/2010: Brief touchdown in a field 1 mile north of Sidell.
- 4/19/2011: Touched down near Henning and moved northeast, damaging roofs, sidings, and awnings on numerous houses. It was on the ground for 2.7 miles before dissipating 3 miles northeast of Henning.
- 4/19/2011: Touched down 4.4 miles east of Rossville, and moved northeast 2.5 miles. It damaged several grain bins and two farmsteads.
- 5/7/2011: Brief touchdown in a field 2 miles southeast of Allerton.
- 5/1/2012: Brief touchdown in on south edge of Tilton damaging a business.
- 5/6/2012: Touched down 2 miles west of Hoopeston moving east 2 miles damaging a couple farms and sign at SE corner of Hoopeston.
- 5/31/2013: Brief touchdown in a field 2.6 miles southeast of Westville. Damaged a couple rural farms.
- 11/17/2013: Known as the Gifford tornado. Traveled 29.7 miles NE damaging many farm buildings near East Lynn.
- 11/17/2013: Touched down 4 miles Northwest of Sidell moving Northeast 18 miles damaging numerous farms and residences including NW corner of Belgium before lifting near the Indiana state line. 1 injury.
- 9/9/2016: Rated as EF-1 intensity, with a peak wind speed of 95 mph. It was on the ground for 9 minutes, traveling 1.7 miles from 1 mile north of Danville to 2.4 miles south of Bismarck.
- 9/9/2016: Touched down 2 miles southwest of Catlin was rated as EF-0 intensity, with a peak wind speed of 70 mph. It stayed in fields and did minor crop damage before dissipating.